Friday, September 16, 2011


Not liking ‘like’
Gavin McInnes at Taki agrees with me. A teacher more than 25 years ago told me it came from the long custom of whites imitating blacks to show off: white jazzmen copied blacks, clubgoers copied white jazzmen and then this took off among teenage white girls in southern California so now it’s no longer a joke but the American white girl voice. (Sidebar learnt from the SWPL blog when it was funny: copying obsolete black pop culture is a white status symbol because you’re telling people you were stylish and culturally sensitive – open-minded and swippler than thou – since you were a kid, way back when.) I’m of a generation that didn’t talk like that, just like the generations before me whom I like (there; that’s one right use of the word).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave comment