Thursday, May 30, 2013

An American Catholic passing: Fr Andrew Greeley

The Rev. Andrew Greeley passed away peacefully overnight.
Interesting character. I’ve read one each of his novels and his serious books. A victim of the council like his generation and I hope not a lost soul; he needs our prayers. A second-rate Modernist awash in the ’70s sexual revolution and me decade. (At least he was into women.) Interestingly he was a kind of liberal high-church, rare among the American Catholics he claimed to speak for: he didn’t hate the traditionalist trappings he grew up with but emptied them of their content in favor of sentimentality, his cultural Catholicism. My Jesus, mercy.

Happy feast of Corpus Christi.

1 comment:

  1. I believe we discussed Fr. G. ad nauseum on FB, or at least I did. No matter what he said or wrote, he is a priest forever according to the order of Melchizedek. R.I.P.


    ReplyDelete

Leave comment