Monday, May 27, 2013

Catholicism and Orthodoxy: 'two lungs'

At best, it’s a way of saying Catholics don’t hate the Orthodox, recognize their grace, and envision a place for their tradition in the Catholic Church (again). At worst, it’s a branch theory, relativism that insults both churches exactly as online Orthodox say (why I object to the few OicwRs: being Catholic but thumbing your nose at Catholic authority, while saying you agree with the Orthodox but don’t join; it’s making religion a game).

2 comments:

  1. Re: . . . why I object to the few OicwRs: being Catholic but thumbing your nose at Catholic authority, while saying you agree with the Orthodox but don’t join . . . .

    *************************************

    If this is what the few OicwRs really say or believe, then they are not Catholic by definition as far as I can tell. Then again, in all fairness, I must let the OicwRs speak for themselves as I perceive there are many opinions out there. Catholicism and Orthodoxy are not the same religions right now--yes, I tend to go with your scope of the Pope distinction--if only because those with authority on both sides of the divide pragmatically say and act so. Yes, many of the rank and file say/believe the same. Sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've no idea what "OicwRs" are, but I think the two lungs metaphor is a bad one, and bad theology. Too sentimental, really.

    Though I don't think there will be reunion any time soon, we can find a modus vivendi if we learn to recognise differences without minimising them (which some Catholics are tempted to do, and it's patronising) or maximising them (which some Orthodox are tempted to do, and it's belligerent).

    Most Orthodox responses that I've seen to the election of Francis as Pope of Rome have been positive and sympathetic.

    ReplyDelete

Leave comment