Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Around town

  • Drug bust next door. Actually a car stopped by three police cars, two unmarked. A man sitting on the curb, handcuffed, and a car search. Regular readers know that as a sort of libertarian I’m fine with decriminalizing drugs but I like the police too.
  • Mainline decline and evangelical success. The former St John the Evangelist’s Episcopal Church, vacated in ’08 after about 100 years (the Episcopalians are still in two neighboring towns but St John’s has beautiful Gothic architecture great for Catholic worship), is now New Beginnings Church of Christ. I don’t think it’s part of the Churches of Christ, who have or used to have a church one town over. That town by the way has a tiny church with the most interesting saint’s dedication I’ve actually seen, and it’s not even Catholic. St Agabus. Meanwhile, the former St Peter’s, Broomall, is booming as Cornerstone Christian Church.

1 comment:

  1. Are Evangelical Christians really doing all that well? I thought I read somewhere (I don't recall the source just now) that they are bleeding out young folks like the Orthodox are experiencing.

    ReplyDelete

Leave comment