Monday, October 28, 2013

Fact vs. myth about the market, and more

  • From RR: Debunking criticism of the free market, parts one and two.
  • From Bob Wallace:
    • If there really were a free market.
    • Love and work are the cornerstones of our humanity. Our Third Worldization under the state proceeds (no more middle-class American dream with its affordable family formation; a few of the very rich and many of the very poor); also, women depend entirely on men, either directly, the normal way, or through the state, the modern way. (Cf. Sunshine Mary here.) Also, the Anti-Gnostic: The policy rationale behind government handouts: To enable women to have sex with men who make terrible husbands and fathers. Not surprisingly, single women put Obama in office. This is why we formerly did not let them vote.
    • Never let anyone tell your story for you. I decided years ago the way to destroy a culture is to take over education, the government, the media, and the churches, and attack the dominant culture.
  • From the Anti-Gnostic: Price is elastic to supply. There is no ‘glass ceiling’ anti-woman conspiracy in business. I always find it remarkable, and perhaps even a little depressing, how few people are able to grasp that the primary consequence of the addition of 70 million working women, all of whom were already consumers, to the labor force could never have been anything else but to lower wages.
  • From Ad Orientem: As the 50th anniversary approaches... JFK’s murder: lone Commie nut, All Society’s Fault™, or a coup that was neither? John pointed out to me the lefty narrative, blaming normal society at the time for it. Of course I don’t want to feed that but a coup seems likely. I’ve never seen Oliver Stone’s movie, by the way.
  • From Takimag: The breakdown on Bitcoin.
  • Dumbing down the readings in the Novus Ordo. I rarely go to it so I had no idea. Like other things in it that have been pointed out to me, not formally heretical but disturbing. Another reason the old Mass is better.

2 comments:

  1. Stone's movie is terribly tedious. I saw it a few times but mostly because it afforded nearly 4 hours of uniterrupted one-on-one time with my then-girlfriend without chaperones in a dark place.

    I was really interested in and, being a soft-headed lad, impressed by Kennedy...until my noxious comments so offended my grandfather that he set me straight about the man and his presidency.

    In short, and to your comment, you're not missing anything in Stone's movie except some disturbing images of Joe Pesci. Everything else about it can be seen an any of half-a-dozen TV specials on the assassination.

    Will have to check out the other links when I have a few minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tend to agree that the optional omissions allow for badly bowlderized readings. But didn't the old mass almost entirely leave out the Old Testament, other than the Psalms? Surely that has to be considered when balancing old against new.

    ReplyDelete

Leave comment