Sunday, September 07, 2014

An Anglo-Catholic alumnus's notes

  • The great thing about Pope Benedict's Novus Ordo at my parish is it's still my parish. No squad of unnecessary "Eucharistic ministers." The rail is in use. "Mutual enrichment" going on. Anglican hymns and organ music at my Mass; Fr. David wearing his biretta and chanting most of the 8 o'clock Novus, as well as the Anglican music. Too bad they can't chant the gospel; the authorities are enamored of a Protestant notion of "proclaiming" it, and I don't like that the Novus Ordo seems not to genuflect, but that's culture, not doctrine. It's "facing the people"; it doesn't have to be, and thanks to Benedict the Great, the effect now feels like church in 1967 rather than '77 or '87. It's Catholic.
  • I love baroque and Victorian Gothic, but Catholicity means you don't HAVE to be tied down to one culture. I have no problem with space-age church design as long as they're doing the Tridentine Mass or an equivalent (Pope Benedict's Novus is good enough); it keeps things in line. But yeah, there were wreckovations and experimental Masses facing the people in the '50s. Pius XII saw the problem back in the '40s and mentioned it in Mediator Dei. Alas.
  • People are still ripping out altar rails? So I read. Thought that stopped with Pope Benedict. The liberals are going away but not gently.
  • As a born Anglican I found the dialogue between the priest and congregation, the congregational "roar," saying the Leonine prayers after Low Mass comforting, a bit of home, but I liked the silent Canon, etc. too. (Hoc. Est. Enim. Corpus. Meum.) Today I'm almost all Tridentine, except when I'm at the Novus Ordo I say the creed from the old Book of Common Prayer from memory. (The right kind of ecumenism, by an accident of my birth.) Most Sundays I'm singing it in Latin. My prayer after Mass every week: Blessed, praised, hallowed, and adored be our Lord Jesus Christ, on his throne of glory in heaven, in the most holy Sacrament of the altar, and in the hearts of his faithful people.
  • "I want to go to an Anglican-use parish just to hear how the English sounds like." You're in for a treat. Beautiful English and ceremonial resembling the Tridentine Mass.
  • "Even though it's not approved by Rome I recently got an Anglican missal that contains all the prayers and readings of the Anglican mass. It's really pretty I must say." Anglican missals are wonderful. They're from before Vatican II, so they spliced the old Anglican Prayer Book with the Tridentine Mass, offering several different mixes of the two. It works because Cranmer remained orthodox enough; he was credally orthodox and retained his 16th-century European worldview from the Catholic Church, even though he was a heretic. But the church doesn't approve his Eucharistic prayer (canon, consecration prayer); the Eucharist was one thing he was heretical about (which is why the church doesn't accept Anglican orders). The ordinariates for Anglo-Catholic alumni use the Roman Canon translated into English; otherwise — old BCP, Pope Benedict's Novus in Tudorese, and Tridentine, blended — it's more or less the same idea as those old missals. Considering that, in the end, my favorite "Anglican" liturgical books weren't official and in fact were BANNED in much of the Episcopal Church, that pretty much tells me where I belonged all along.

1 comment:

  1. "Blessed, praised, hallowed, and adored be our Lord Jesus Christ, on his throne of glory in heaven, in the most holy Sacrament of the altar, and in the hearts of his faithful people."

    This is exactly the prayer my mother taught me to say after mass. I still pray it today.
    -Fellow Anglo-Catholic alumnus.

    ReplyDelete

Leave comment