Sunday, September 07, 2014

Johnson's Corner Farm car show


Medford, NJ: 200 cars. I was resting close to home so Donna was my eyes for this one. Hello, old friends, hello. We've seen several of these at other shows; the South Jersey classic-car community seems pretty tight. And these are more of a Jersey thing than a Pennsylvania one though I hope to see Carlisle and Das Awkscht Fescht. There's DCCC in October; as good as this, better than New Hope, and it's free.


Plymouth: quintessential beautiful '40s design, the same almost the whole decade because of suspending civilian car production during the war.


Mid-'50s Fords were beautiful.


The '56 is my favorite design of the boxy mid-'50s Bel Airs everybody is so crazy about. (I love the '58 model year of most American makes: think Christine.)


A red '57 Chevy has become an emblem of the fake Fifties (concept courtesy of Sha Na Na, a bunch of Columbia students making fun of Italian-American resistance to the Sixties) but one in great stock condition is wonderful to see. My family drove Fords and thought these were ugly at the time; never thought they'd become classics, synonymous with the decade. Did you know Chevy made a special version of the '57 just for racing?


The dream: '60 Chevy.


The '60s Lincoln Continentals always remind me of President Kennedy. :(


Nash/AMC never quite got the hang of car design and marketing. The Metropolitan was the original American clown car for economy, but I like the '59 Ambassadors; perfect '50s car in miniature (full-sized interior; little car). This was one of their last tries.


Guess the Bandit and Sally Field stopped by.


The last Studebaker: the ultramodern '63 Avanti (marketing it as European). An owner once told me they kept making them in Mexico until '66 or so, which was where his came from.


Buick.


The car that made Ralph Nader famous.
It really wasn't that bad a car, certainly not more unsafe at any speed than just about all the other cars of its era... and it was innovative for the time.
No seat belts in cars, so more people died on the highways then.


I'm not even a Corvette person but this is beautiful. Like the first car Bruce Springsteen bought ('60 'Vette) when he first made it; I think it's on loan as part of a display.
Well, I'm a Corvette person.
Thing is, high-performance cars always have manual transmissions. You don't want to be like that poor little girl who couldn't handle the recoil of an Uzi. These are hard to drive. Reminds me of a story about Gov. Andrew Cuomo: in college he got a Corvette that's an automatic and everybody laughed at him behind his back. (Can't drive a stick... yet? Tried to learn once so far.)


Pontiac: El auto boss.


Another old friend we've seen at shows.


The ultimate fake Fifties? Bet that convertible isn't really a '57 Chevy; it's one of those modern cars with a fake fiberglass body from a kit.


One of history's ironies: this Nazi car, born and bred, is cute; a fine design perfect for what it was meant for.


VW Karmann Ghia: Volkswagen in Italian clothes.


The '49-'51 Mercs, made famous by James Dean's black '49 in Rebel Without a Cause. A very forward design, one of the first real postwar cars (unibody).

2 comments:

  1. Thanks my dear for posting the Johnson's farm festival car show pics I took. I know u wished u were there but nor I or u knew how big it was gonna be. But I went anyway, there were lots of great cars in the parking lots there. My fave car of the day was real beauty the white/orangey sun-liner. An most of the cars u posted here as well. I never knew they do this often there. One of the guy there told me there did one on Friday called the cruise nights. If knew that I would of been there this Friday and went. Now I know for next season for us. I hope ur readers like this if there car buff kike us if not too bad more for fun for us. :). And the weather was great for it to like we had Saturday for the other car show fest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw some sweet European and American cars from the 1930s to the 1960s at a classic car show on Sunday in Stockholm. Yes, in Sweden.

    ReplyDelete

Leave comment