Tuesday, September 09, 2014

Women's Dark Triad, movies about World War II, and more


  • From Bob Wallace: Men not approaching women anymore. Just what the hell did they expect? And what are they going to do when they end up without husband, home and children and end up with cats because their ovaries have dried up? What all of this is about is the attempt to control everything about men. And control means domination and power. And that's nothing good. It is, as I've mentioned before, the Dark Triad for women — power, domination and control. And no one likes having that done to them. Experiences with girls literally half my age as bosses: an asocial millennial, attractive and charming at first, but like many charming people a sociopath (ethnicity and going only to Catholic schools meant bubkes); then perfectly normal ones, grounded in reality, one a mom, another a newlywed.
  • From LRC: Hollywood goes to war. I don't hate the Japanese.
  • From Face to Face: Eyeglass design over time.
  • Mac Conner arrived in New York in 1950 and built a career in the city’s vibrant publishing industry with his crisp, hand-painted illustrations.
  • From Rad Trad: Semi-Sarum as done by English Catholics last century. Beautiful. Like the conditions Pugin worked under: medieval-like look but fitting the standard Tridentine Mass. This picture looks like All Saints' Episcopal, Orange, NJ, 30 years ago, my formative Catholic liturgical/cultural experience, except All Saints' had more hardware, from statuary on the columns and a votive-candle stand in the crossing to seven hanging red lamps. A smaller space and trying harder, the Anglo-Catholic way.
  • Willful and unpleasant ≠ heretical. The indifferentist heresy of byzcath and a Catholic/Orthodox group on Facebook (older putative Catholic announces she's 'doxing with her fingers crossed, seeking and getting you-go-girl affirmation), and an ex-Catholic online Orthodox of the Western Rite persuasion, who now goes to a Continuing Anglican church on Sunday morning because he likes it better and only believes in four ecumenical councils, stand out in contrast to Gerard Bugge, an early ('90s) Catholic webmaster and blogger. (I saved his page on C.S. Lewis believing in purgatory.) Redemptorist priest from the '70s who was laicized in the '80s after some unpleasantness, and he 'doxed to the Mathewes-Greens' Antiochian parish for three years; the anti-Westernism ultimately turned him off, understandable for a man whose Catholic roots were deep and pre-Vatican II. Difficult personality like the others, but after he was Catholic again he never attacked the teachings of the church; to use his favorite symbol, his Internet ministry (with which he rebuilt his life) was from a pure heart. (Many of the saints weren't exactly sweet little buttercups either.) He liked non-Tridentine high church, which is what his Baltimore parish by choice is. He also hosted a Catholic/Orthodox discussion group at his home. RIP.

2 comments:

  1. Re eyeglasses. I've worn glasses since 1971, and should've worn them sooner. I walked around in a snow storm and cried when I was told I had to get them (3rd grade) because I didn't want the thick black Clark Kent glasses that were in style then. Fortunately for little me, wire frames were making a comeback, and I got a pair. Since then, although I did have a pair of nose windshields in the late 70's, I've always worn round or oblong frames, always reminiscent of the world before 1914. As for popular frames today, I refuse to have my choices dictated by Madison Avenue homosexuals or wear the shards of Modernism on the end of my nose. I am a curmudgeonly fellow, aren't I?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Went back in time with browline glasses at the end of 2010, eventually finding my favorite, long-gone brand, American Optical Sirmonts (just like Tom Hanks in Catch Me If You Can). As with the rest of it (the hat since 2010, etc.), it's like the old joke about dogs: because I can.

      Delete

Leave comment