Monday, February 16, 2015

"Types of Catholic Friends" with commentary


Cute idea. But many/most other Catholics I meet are lapsed; they'll never join another faith (they left the true church; why bother with another?) but the knowledge and devotion about God and the church are gone. There are also the practicing but easygoing ethnics; for both the church is a substratum in their lives but they don't make a big deal out of it. (The convertypantses exist but they and I don't know them in person.) That's rubbed off on me; I don't watch EWTN because I don't need to. I know what I am (a Catholic and a sinner) and what the church teaches well enough.

Most born Eastern Catholics like this young lady are like that. The type described here, in their services standing all the time and singing everything, sounds like enthusiastic converts trying to be good unlatinized ones, a legitimate option.
What about the '70s Catholic? A.k.a. someone whose parents really embraced the post-Vatican II hippie Catholic years, and that rubbed off on them during their childhood. As a result, they love all the charismatic stuff/folksy music and are suspicious of the nouveau traditionalists and bemoan RM3 [the improved Mass in English ordered by Benedict XVI]? And also the PopeFrankofiles — who love Pope Frankie! (I may be a mix of both.)
I find they are very rare in real life offline now. Post-Vatican II hippie Catholicism burned itself out, like literal fires doing a lot of harm. (And Vatican II wasn't hippies; it was the generation above them, '50s confidence in space-age progress gone wrong. The hippies were just dumb kids buying records; they weren't interested in the church.) Most of that generation raised on that no longer goes to church.

I didn't grow up before Vatican II but have been a traditionalist on and off for decades (long lapse in Orthodoxy); maybe I'm nouveau. More of an Anglo-Catholic alumnus. I bow when the processional cross passes me, cross myself at a few different points in the Mass from born Catholics, and when the Gloria and the Creed are in English (I hear the new Mass about six times a year) I say them by heart from the old Book of Common Prayer as repeated in the old Anglican missals. My prayer after Mass is A-C: "Blessed, praised, hallowed, and adored be our Lord Jesus Christ on his throne of glory in heaven, in the most holy Sacrament of the altar, and in the hearts of his faithful people." The only real differences in my religion now are I'm under the Pope and the Mass happens to be all in Latin. My parish (by choice; I jumped parish boundaries; yes, it's a trad magnet) has chant, polyphony, and a mix of old Catholic hymns and the same ones the Episcopal Church at least used to have, played in full. A-C patrimony, as in what the ordinariates should be; I’m not in the American ordinariate: Tridentine, the best of the Prayer Book, and some ’20s ephemera, with married priests, becoming another Catholic subculture. An American mix; the Brits actually don’t like being old-fashioned that way. It's not really Anglicanism, which is "both Catholic and Protestant."

RM3 was the best thing to happen in the church in 50 years. Bigger than giving us our Mass back because it affected far more people. I call the emeritus Pope "Benedict the Great." Because of him, for the first time in decades you get clear Catholic teaching from the text of every Mass in the parishes; I can worship anywhere in the United States. Just like 50 years ago.

Traditionalists and Novus Ordo conservatives going to church and having relatively lots of kids mean they're the American church's future.

Our mother the church is essential, and its cultures including its folklore are great, but, being ecumenical, if I'm as Christ-centered as our Missouri Synod Lutheran cousins, I'm doing it right.

Other than writing online, I go to my Tridentine Mass, put my envelope in the basket, say my rosary during the week and try not to get into too much trouble.

From Nelson Chase.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave comment