Wednesday, April 15, 2015

The Pacific war, Jews and political correctness, and what does the Anglican patrimony have to offer the church?

  • What does the Anglican patrimony have to offer the church? I've met Richard Upsher Smith. The answer lies ... in the origins of Anglicanism at the beginning of modernity. From what I can tell, that's exactly Anglicanism's and the rest of Protestantism's problem. (Anglicanism: mild Calvinism with bishops.) Smith seems to argue its modernity is why it's perfect for re-evangelizing the West. Actually, including after reading this, I tend to agree with a friend who remains anonymous online and is virulently anti-Anglican (he literally says "Fakedy fake fake!" whenever I mention Anglicans), just with a different tone from his. Smith seems to be defending aspects of Anglicanism; no sale. I guess I'm anti-Anglicanism of course but not anti-Anglican. My friend claims the patrimony has nothing to offer the church; Anglo-Catholic alumni should just be Roman Riters (he's a "fusionist," basically reform-of-the-reform; Novus Ordo but let's retrofit it with some of the old, high-churching it). Sorry, no; I've heard that "give it all up" rap before, not only from the Orthodox (who fantasize about byzantinizing Christendom so they really think my religious origins are worthless) but from Novus Ordo Catholics left and right (JP2's devotees) going back to the '80s: "Give up that artsy old-fashioned stuff and become a charismatic." No. Sed contra, you don't have to buy the modernity including the Protestantism and Erastianism (a feature not a bug in Anglicanism) to learn from Anglo-Catholicism (not exactly Anglicanism) at its best: the possibility of a semi-congregational version of traditional Catholicism in classic English with some great hymns. My parish by choice (a conservative magnet in the archdiocese) has most of that, especially the hymns with organ, but our main Mass happens to be in Latin and of course American Catholicism isn't run semi-congregationally. As I like to say, everything in church polity except the papacy and the episcopate is negotiable. That and American Catholics getting over their Irish low-church bias (pre-dating Vatican II) would do us a world of good and the liberals wouldn't know what hit them. (Parishes owning their own property, married priests... "and you're c-c-conservative?!" The Christian East, including American Greek Catholics historically, teaches the same lesson.) Also, in America, the old Book of Common Prayer has about the same place culturally as the Tridentine Mass; it was our way of saying no to the Sixties, nothing really to do with Cranmer. (Also, Cranmer was orthodox enough that hybrids such as the American Missal — the BCP's Communion framed by the Tridentine Mass — mostly work; the church doesn't allow Cranmer's Eucharistic prayer, which is fine with me.) Why when I'm at an English-language Mass (about five or six times a year) I say the first Gloria and Creed I learned, same as the Continuing Churches. My guess is Pope Benedict XVI saw the ordinariates as a way of reinforcing the conservative Catholic revival. They're small but good, with their influence extending beyond themselves (I'm not in the American ordinariate). By the way, again, the irony of Anglo-Catholicism: what started in the 1830s as an intellectual movement not about ceremonial, positing Anglicanism as the true answer vs. Catholicism (as classic Anglicans did), reacting against Catholic emancipation in Britain including Ireland, ended up imitating the Catholic Church.
  • Steve Sailer: it's always fun when political correctness conflicts with itself. So are Jews part of the left's sacralized fringe as historic victims or are they evil whites, oppressors? Vis-à-vis America regarding Israel and the Palestinians.
  • LRC: Why we fought Japan in WWII. China was a longtime spoils we were defending, which we ended up losing to the Communists, whom we'd just helped win the European war. We were saps.

2 comments:

  1. Come join us in the Ordinariate, John!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks but I like my Anglo-Catholic-like Tridentine Mass and I don't miss the Prayer Book that much. I don't hate it but having been to Catholic martyrs' shrines in England I'll never look at it the same.

      Delete

Leave comment