Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Three kinds of cowards


Three kinds of cowards: Abortion apologists who love animals, jerks who go on safaris to waste fine animals, and schismatics.
  • Cecil the lion vs. aborted baby parts. First, I'm as outraged by Cecil's killing as the mainstream; as far as I know, Dr. Palmer didn't kill him for food. If he had the carcass cleaned and turned into lion steaks, I stand corrected. After all, I eat meat. Seems to me like a canned hunt (unmanly, as no less than Teddy Roosevelt agreed). Ethical hunters use what they kill and respect nature, being participants in it as predators like other animals. Conservation and stewardship of God's creation are Christian values. So if, as accused, Dr. Palmer killed this beautiful animal for no good reason, I'm as sad as you are about it. (Maybe he's right to blame the guides, but he has a bad track record. Luring that lion off a preserve was wrong, unless Dr. Palmer knew how to turn him into food and was very hungry.) That said, some conservatives are making the good point that mainstream America's getting all verklempt over an animal while abortionists including Planned Parenthood trafficking in body parts for at least 10 years get away with it. Elementary as Holmes said. Feeling for the lion is easy; sentimentality. It doesn't cramp your style; hey, it even shows you're kind of nice. Turning down the abortionist's offer of "FREE SEX!" is hard. Planned Parenthood has won the minds (such as they are) and hearts of the people that way. Back in the Sixties with the debut of the Pill and no-fault divorce.
  • Ex-Catholic Orthodox who still hang around us online. The ones who leave the church but can't stop writing about the church. I used to be like you. My Orthodox phase didn't last long beliefwise; I had buyer's remorse early on. So I'll level with you. I started doing what you are, hanging around Catholics online and offering "unity" but not on the church's terms, rather, someone else's cockamamie ones, almost admitting my mistake but still too proud to. That's how and why I met Catholic apologist Mark Bonocore. Here's what he told me, which I'll pass down to you. Consider it my last piece of advice if you like. Luther is supposed to have said, "If you sin, sin boldly." Exactly. Pussyfooting around, recognizing our sacraments, for example, is well and good for born Orthodox whose family and ethnic ties keep them where they are. (The late Archbishop Vsevolod, for example, one of the nicest people I've met.) It's charming from them. (And they're not personally guilty of schism.) From you, until you come clean and come home, it's pathetic. It's good Orthodoxy, an option for Orthodox, but according to your new faith it's psychologically dangerous for you, a temptation to revert to a false faith. Mark put it on the line the last time I heard from him, nearly 20 years ago: This is essential if you want to remain Orthodox. (Me: Not go to heaven. Remain Orthodox.) Turn your back on us. Declare us apostates and have nothing more to do with us. On my long road back to the church, about 15 years ago I met two Byzantine Catholics by choice, Anastasios Hudson and Nik Stanosheck. Thought they'd be part of the story of my return. Quite the opposite. They turned against the church with a vengeance, left it, and shook the dust off their feet, joining splinter groups because the official Orthodox aren't Orthodox enough: Greek Old Calendarism and a similar splinter from "the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Reality," half the size but twice the Russianism and anti-Westernism. And I've got to hand it to them: it worked; they're still Orthodox as far as I know. So, like Gavin McInnes daring Bruce Jenner to "cut it off," put your money where your mouth is. If you dare. Can't? Fine with me: I'll leave the porch light on for you.

14 comments:

  1. Do you know where Anastasios Hudson is now? I know that he was once ordained as an a Greek Old Calendarist priest, but is no longer serving in a parish (or possibly as a priest, in general).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No longer serving as a priest. As far as I know, he's still living on the U.S. East Coast and still a Greek Old Calendarist.

      Delete
  2. I guess ex-RCs turned Orthodox like me are going to hell, because one's salvation depends on submitting to the Pope just like Bonafice XIII declared in Unam Santum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leaving the church as you have done is grave matter; as you probably remember, that, sufficient reflection, and full consent of the will are what make something a mortal sin. This teaching is much like what the church of your choice teaches about people like me. Fair enough.

      Delete
    2. Submitting to the Pope when he exercises his lawful authority in conformity to the unchangeable Deposit of Faith and morals.

      Delete
    3. Lions are not generally killed for food. There is nothing wrong with hunting unless the species is endangered in an area.

      Delete
  3. I read this post and thought of Tolkien:

    "A shadow passed over Saruman's face; then it went deathly white. Before he could conceal it, they saw through the mask the anguish of a mind in doubt, loathing to stay and dreading to leave its refuge." The Lord of the Rings, Book III, Chapter X.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Refuge": My "parking spot" wasn't really Orthodox but a weird, artificial church life under a kindly Doppelgänger of this fellow.

      Delete
  4. I'm confused by a certain blogger who recently revealed he returned to the Orthodox Church. Once again he is writing about very Catholic topics such as integralism.

    Anthony

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's not the only one. Rod Dreher's a relatively well-known example.

      Delete
  5. Dude, you write about Orthodox and Orthodoxy all the time. How are you any different?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's different partly because I tend not to write about their turf wars (jurisdictional jousts) or liturgical wars (the calendar, for example), because they don't matter to me. (Until somebody mentioned it elsewhere, I had no idea SCOBA had been replaced.) Here it's all about how the thing, including its liturgy and spirituality, relates to Catholicism; attempts at apologetics. (At least two non-ethnics, one originally Catholic, one Protestant, have converted or returned from it to Catholicism through reading this blog.) The bloggers I mention write about our fights as if they're still in them, which is why I wrote this modest proposal so they remain in their new faith. (Why care about our liturgy battles when you're in the putative true church?) Because of course they're really still Catholic; they'll come home. One in particular, Perceptio (A Real Live One), mopes about the church constantly; not one joyful post about his new faith or the Byzantine Rite. Even Rod Dreher has a healthy liking for the rite.

      Delete
    2. You might want to be careful touting stats like conversions from you blog; like many things, you may not know what you've caused or not caused if nobody's told you. The offset is for every one of those for whom you take such pride in, how many would never take Catholicism seriously because they read your blog?

      Delete
    3. If most who read this blog don't take Catholicism seriously because of it, why are you trying to stop me?

      Delete

Leave comment