Thursday, January 12, 2017

The free market, the manosphere, and race realism are reality: Talking to anti-Trump orthodox Catholics

I continue to worry about some of my fellow Catholics who have fallen headlong into the Trumpist Cult: the Leader can do no wrong.
All politics are provisional. I've got the church, just like you. So I don't worship Trump, thinking he can do no wrong. You know my preferences: a king, a caudillo, or a Ron Paul. He'll do. He is a stay of execution for our country and besides, and go ahead and hate me, I like the man. The only candidate I didn't like personally was the one the Democrats betrayed Sanders for to try to force on us; the people to their credit didn't buy it.
I wish you would ask yourself why you like the man, and whether those reasons are good, and whether they are true and reflect reality. And I wish you would fess up to what you are ignoring about the man.
An Anglo-Catholic alumnus and Catholic convert like me, a Canadian subject and a monarchist, has pointed out facts: Trump isn't perfect. Namely, he's living in concubinage/adultery and his daughter is an apostate. But in our system, it doesn't matter. We are religiously neutral politically, which protects us as Catholics. Just like George III was in heresy, a Protestant, but we still owed him our allegiance as our Christian king. Religious law in England didn't apply to us, as the Crown showed in at least one colonial court case. The American Revolution was wrong.

I'm not making the perfect the enemy of the good so Hillary Clinton and her minions, the people whose theatrics have been making the news since Trump and we won, can bury us like they want to.

Ideally I'd like to have a Catholic Stuart monarch too.

Catholicism isn't a peculiar way of doing things but the way to look at everything. Reason is accepting objective reality. In our fallen world, the free market, the manosphere, and race realism are reality. Our challenge as Catholics is to deal with them as realistically and charitably as possible. Hillary Clinton and her minions want to bury us. Trump doesn't. Nobody else had a chance. My duty was clear and I can stand before our Maker and own it. He's not some lisping guitar-Mass idea of a Christian; he's a man. A pagan man, but a man. I like him without apology.
He is indeed a man, but that's not enough. He's a bad man. He'd turn on you in a heartbeat. It's fine to be glad that he's not Hillary and hope for the best, but any enthusiasm beyond that has to come — in my humble opinion — from a disordered place.
No need to worry, old friend: he's not my Dear Leader.
"The free market, the manosphere, and race realism": in point of fact, all of these are distortions of reality, despite the truths they might contain. Reality is found only in light of faith, and of reason illumined by the Faith. Trumpism needs to be evaluated accordingly.
I said "fallen." All have natural truth but all have sin too. The market is the only system that works, God made differences and a hierarchy for the sexes, and there are differences on average among the races. But the church condemns greed, abuse of women, and racial hatred. Our job is to discern.

Enforcing the law on immigration is common sense, not race-baiting, it was politically popular as recently as 10 years ago, and how dare one assume because I'm part-Mexican I'm for the illegals?

2 comments:

  1. I liked Merv Griffin. Never cared for Trump particularly. Nonetheless, I get your point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whatever else it is, the election of Donald Trump is a delightful cosmic joke. Can you imagine traveling back in time to 1985 and telling somebody the result of the 2016 election? It reminds me of that scene in "Back to the Future" when Marty tries to convince Doc Brown in 1955 that Ronald Reagan will become President of the United States.

    Anyway, Charlemagne had four wives and a gaggle of mistresses, and King David had that whole business with Bathsheba. Great men are rarely good men, which is why scripture warns us to "put not your trust in princes" and implies that political power in this world is mostly controlled by the devil. A political leader's most fundamental job isn't providing a saintly example (that's rare icing on the cake if you can get it), but crushing the nation's enemies, both foreign and domestic. It's lucky to have a Louis IX when we can get one, but I'll settle for an Andrew Jackson in the meantime.

    ReplyDelete

Leave comment