Saturday, February 18, 2017

OicwRs: Still sliming after all these years

I recently had another online run-in with a soi-disant "Orthodox in communion with Rome" (OicwR), this time one trolling a traditionalist Catholic board. (Shark chum from someone swanning in Byzantine garb to grab attention from such a board: "I don't believe in purgatory, the Immaculate Conception, papal infallibility, etc., because [allegedly] the Pope himself and the Melkite patriarch say I don't have to.") It's easy for traditional Catholics to trust someone who uses an Eastern liturgy, as those liturgies are very good (after Vatican II often the only traditional expression Catholics were allowed), but some of the latter dissent from church teaching in the name of ecumenism with the Orthodox (who ironically often hate ecumenism). Byzantine Catholics are called to express Catholicism in Orthodox terms (though few native to those churches consciously think that way), but of course a Catholic must accept all doctrines taught by the church according to their essence, form notwithstanding. Dissenters among Eastern Catholics are few but noisy online, are usually not native to the Eastern rites, and are usually on their way out of the church and wouldn't mind dragging you with them. A common game from them to try to slime defenders of Catholicism is to attack their Byzantine bonafides if they claim any, trying to hurt them by appealing to pride: "You're trying to force Latin Catholic culture on us!" My home prayer life and my church life once a month are very "Orthodox" in a Byzantine Catholic church but I claim no Byzantine bonafides; I'm not trying to look cool or claim to be something I'm not. I am Roman Rite, and traditional Roman Rite at that, but more important am only trying to follow Christ.
I never quite get that; it's like they don't believe in the law of non-contradiction. Eventually something has to give. One thing has to be true and the other has to be wrong, and you can't have it both ways.
True, so most of them (and again there aren't that many of them) become Orthodox, but they leave a lot of confusion in their wake online.

My part-time Byzantine Catholic parish is Holy Myrrh-Bearers Ukrainian Catholic Church in Swarthmore, Pa., the former Holy Ghost Church of Chester, Pa., moved to a more pleasant neighborhood. My official parish, and my parish by choice, is Our Lady of Lourdes in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia (Sunday morning Tridentine Sung Mass).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave comment