Sunday, February 19, 2017

Sunday quick notes on religion

  • John Zmirak: "Magisterium ≠ whatever 1 Pope says. It's the body of teaching passed from the Apostles. What diverges is heresy even if a Pope says it." Bishop Athanasius Schneider: Catholics are not called to blind obedience to the Pope. Exactly what I believe. Non-Catholics think we have to jump if the Pope sneezes, especially if we call ourselves traditionalists. It doesn't work that way. Given how difficult travel and communication were centuries ago (same thing then), it never did.
  • To quote a weary but wise man: "From now on I'll go to church but I won't join." Pretty much my approach. I'm registered in a parish and do my financial duty, however badly, but that's it. I don't get involved. Parish politics and clergy gossip won't help me become a better person.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave comment