Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Nuns and feminism

Kathy Shaidle: Twisted sisters.
Those feminists’ fascination with Catholic nuns made sense, actually. Here were women living and working together, doing good — and without men around.
That's why Ida Lupino, a Hollywood type not interested in Catholicism as far as I know, made the movie The Trouble with Angels in 1966 (right before the church and the rest of the Western world went to hell), more than a comedic vehicle for the cute Hayley Mills about a convent boarding school.

I'm a convert so I didn't grow up with nuns, old-school or liberalized (Catholics know what I mean: boo, Vatican II). I've heard the good and the bad from people who loved or hated them. Their virtual disappearance from American life is a reliable sign that Vatican II was a mistake (it didn't define any doctrine so I can say that). Little homegrown conservative orders are doing okay but we'll likely never see the big teaching and nursing orders again.

1 comment:

  1. Nuns: There is still the occasional Sister Mary Stretchpants around! :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave comment