Thursday, March 16, 2017

Protestant claims and my background

The International House of Pancakes Prayer, whatever that is:
We invite you to pray with us for the nations that have not yet heard the gospel. Let the word of the Lord run swiftly to Syria and Lebanon in Jesus' name.
"You know that Jesus preached in Lebanon's Sidon and Paul was converted on the road to Damascus, right?"

"Do they know it's Christmastime at alllllllll?" Ethiopians were celebrating Mass for it when most of our ancestors were still worshipping the Norse pantheon. (A fourth of mine converted with the Romans, in Iberia, that is, Spain.)
"But ancient, apostolic Christians aren't Christians. They need the true gospel. It's the white (Protestant) man's burden!"
I know the rap. Ironically it helped get me started Catholicwards as a kid. A sister was a '70s charismatic "Jesus movement" person who left the family's tepid Episcopalianism (my parents really got their religion from the televangelists and self-help books old and new; a home brew) for at least theologically conservative Protestantism so I'd actually hear that stuff. "So-and-so was raised (name the Catholic-ish church) but he became a Christian." I figured if it's that old and she and her friends were reacting that strongly it has to have something going for it. And the little I knew of the culture, such as filtered through the not-yet-crazy Episcopalianism in the parishes, spoke to my heart, at the risk of sounding Protestant, like the Russians visiting Hagia Sophia.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave comment