Friday, May 18, 2012

From Rod Dreher
  • Happiness versus blessedness. Brideshead Revisited.
  • Goodbye, military chaplains. The push for gay marriage is anti-liberty.
  • I now have the same point of view that many of my cradle Catholic friends have, and which I didn’t understand: I protect myself from being scandalized by clergy behavior by not allowing myself to trust them or the institutional church very deeply in the first place. Reminds me of Arturo Vasquez’s old blog (Mexican-American folk Catholicism), the Italians I know who like most other Latin/Mediterranean people don’t worship the clergy, and this from Modestinus:
    I suppose this all begs the question of why I am sympathetic to traditionalist Catholics... A lot of it comes down to the fact that I am simpleminded. I have neither the time nor the proclivity to spend my hours reading through dozens of rightfully neglected PhD dissertations; theological articles in German and French; the “Collected Works” of [Whoever]; etc. in order to artfully construct a pleasant, “intellectually defensible” Christianity which allows me to feel goody-goody about my self-chosen intellectual-lifestyle pursuits, though I try my best not to fault other people for doing so (but I’m not very good at that, am I?). I prefer my Christianity to look something like the old, fraying prayer books my grandpa left behind; it’s a Christianity which “makes sense” to me, even if it lacks the requisite degree of “sophistication” to impress approximately seven people currently alive in the world today. And as much as I know that my “brand” (if you will) of Christianity can never match the stylizations of 1950s Catholic books, it’s a useful starting point. I would rather recite the Rosary than read Communio (though sometimes I do both, although not at the same time) and if I am fuzzy on a point of Catholic doctrine, I’ll look it up in Denzinger rather than comb EWTN’s online archives.
    Walked to Mass for Ascension. The priest’s a Pope Benedict man. He celebrates the old Mass but not where I go on Sundays. It’s all good. But I’m glad holy days of obligation are the only times I see Novus.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave comment