Sunday, September 23, 2012

Christ-centered, Eucharist-centered



Christ-centered, Eucharist-centered

Aren’t just silly Novus Ordo speak. I’m actually moderate with Marian and other saints’ devotions. Of course I believe all the teachings (she’s the Mother of God: what more do you need to know? I pray the Rosary and the Angelus) and Sometimes It’s Just Fun to Scare Protestants™ (so pin a five-dollar bill on the saint’s statue at his festa) but I’m of the ‘we don’t really worship saints; we ask them to pray for us like asking a friend’ school, which I understand is the real doctrine. (Apparitions and their messages? With the church I believe miracles happen but I don’t lose sleep over apparitions. They’re not really part of the faith; just things you can believe in if you want to.) Christ-centered and Eucharist-centered in a way that a Bob Hart Anglican or a high-church Missouri Synod Lutheran would be comfortable with, except for Benediction, which is great, and even there, following the real mind of the church before the council, I say don’t go overboard (traditional Mass and office, not the exposition craze well-meaning charismatics pushed as a heartfelt reaction to the bad effect of the council).

Pictured, at home: Wooden version of Slavic pysanka (Easter egg), probably Polish or Ukrainian (latinizations are fine when they’re old and don’t take over).
I will bless every home in which an image of my heart is exposed and honored.

May the heart of Jesus, in the most blessed Sacrament, be praised, adored, and loved, with grateful affection at every moment in all the tabernacles of the word even to the end of time. Amen.